Welcome to the League of Women Voters of the Houston AreaWe are a non-partisan political organization working to encourage active and informed participation in government
Do I need to bring identification?
You MUST bring one of these seven forms of identification:
• Texas driver license—unexpired or expired less than 60 days — issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
• Texas Election Identification Certificate (EIC) issued by DPS
• Texas personal identification card issued by DPS—unexpired or expired less than 60 days
• Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS—unexpired or expired less than 60 days
• United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph—unexpired or expired less than 60 days
• United States citizenship certificate containing the voter’s photograph
• United States passport—unexpired or expired less than 60 days
It is wise to bring your current Voter Registration Certificate (VRC) to the poll with you; however, it is not required that you show your VRC in order to cast a vote. If for some reason, your name does not appear in the official voting roll book, your VRC will serve as proof that you are qualified to vote in the precinct. If you do not have your VCR, you will find an online version on the County Tax Assessor’s website. Click on Voter Registration then Voter Search and search by your name, your address or your Voter Registration Certificate Number to display your Voter Registration Card with your precinct number.
What if I don't have photo ID?
Voters who currently do not have an approved form of photo ID may apply for an Election Identification Certificate (EIC) at no charge with the Department of Public Safety
You can get a Texas Identification Card at any DPS office; the Identification Card is issued by the state as a form of identification for those people who do not have a Texas driver’s license.
Most applicants will need an official birth record, plus two other documents DPS calls “supporting identification.” A Texas Identification Card can be used as identification for purposes other than voting and is useful in other areas of life.
For those age 60 and above, the cost of the identification card is $6.00, and it does not expire. For those under age 60, the card application fee is $16.00, and it expires every six years.
Where can I find more voter ID information?
Links for Voter ID Information
Recent Court Rulings
For the latest information on Texas Voter ID laws, please click here.
This website is shared by the League of Women Voters of the Houston Area and by the League of Women Voters of Houston Education Fund. All information and images Copyright © 2014. This website contains links to other websites not under our control. The inclusion of these links does not imply a recommendation or endorsement of any views they may express.